WEST POINT, N.Y. —?Holy Cross women's basketball head coach?Maureen Magarity?earned her first victory at the helm of the program as the Crusaders cruised to an 80-46 victory at Army West Point on Saturday, Jan. 9.
Going up against Magarity's father, Dave, the head coach at Army West Point —?in what was believed to be the first father-daughter coaching matchup in Division I history —?Holy Cross used a team effort and capitalized on 25 Army turnovers to post the 34-point win.
Five Crusaders finished in double figures, led by junior guard?Avery LaBarbera, who had 23 points and seven rebounds. Freshman guard?Bronagh Power-Cassidy?finished with 17 points, including three 3-pointers, and two blocks. Sophomore?Addisyn Cross?had a career-high 11 points and four steals, while junior forward?Madison Demski?matched a career high with 10 points. Junior forward?Oluchi Ezemma?fell just short of a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
Holy Cross notched 31 points off of Army's turnovers, while also out-rebounding the Black Knights by a 40-25 margin. The Crusaders outscored Army 45-21 in the second half.
Kaci Helmick led the way for Army with 13 points, while Taylor Sullivan had 10 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With Army leading 5-2 early, LaBarbera had a pair of free throws and Power-Cassidy hit a 3-pointer to take a lead with 7:26 to go in the first. The Crusaders would not relinquish the lead at any point from there, with Cross scoring and Power-Cassidy notching a layup off a steal from Demski.
- The Black Knights cut within four, 11-7, but freshman guard?Cara McCormack?had a 3-pointer and a jumper to push the Holy Cross lead to nine with 2:36 left in the quarter.
- Army came within 21-19 with 6:00 to go in the second, but the Crusaders outscored the Black Knights 14-6 to close out the half, capping the scoring with a 3-pointer by Demski and a steal and layup by Cross to lead 35-25 at the half.
- LaBarbera and Power-Cassidy hit back-to-back threes out of the gate in the third quarter, pushing the lead to 16 points and forcing an Army timeout just 1:11 into the frame. Army got a 3-pointer out of the timeout, but LaBarbera converted on an and-one and then hit a layup to put Holy Cross up 18 with 6:09 left in the third.
- In total, LaBarbera had 14 third-quarter points – including a fastbreak layup with 1:12 left in the quarter to push Holy Cross' lead to 24. Ezemma added in a layup to give the Crusaders a 28-point lead heading into the fourth.
- The Crusaders continued to dominate in the final frame, outscoring the Black Knights 17-9. Power-Cassidy hit another 3-pointer to make it a 34-point game with 4:42 left; the lead grew as high as 39, 80-41, after Cross made two free throws with 1:30 left.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross had five players in double figures for the first time since a victory over Boston College on Nov. 13, 2019.
- Army's 25 turnovers are the most that Holy Cross has forced in a single game since Feb. 1, 2017, when they forced 27 against Colgate.
- This marks the first time the Crusaders have scored 80 points in a game since an 82-61 win over New Hampshire on Dec. 22, 2019.
- Holy Cross has recorded 40 rebounds in back-to-back games.
- The Crusaders and Black Knights will close out the weekend series on Sunday, Jan. 10 in Worcester.
- Tipoff at the Hart Center is set for 3 p.m.